This onion chutney is so easy to make yet very delicious. This is my favorite chutney for dosa and idly. My sister and brother likes boiled onion chutney( I should ask my sister for this recipe ). My mom is expert in making this red chutney. Though i have been making this chutney for more than couple of years yet could not replicate that taste exactly. That's why they say 'Mother is the best teacher and the BEST COOK too'. And for now let me blame the onions we get here in US.. hehehe, its not me anymore. This onion chutney takes just 5 minutes to make with very few ingredients.


I would suggest using red onion for this chutney. If you use yellow onion it makes the chutney taste bitter. I have very bad experiences making this chutney with yellow onions. I would better prefer to switch to cooked version of onion chutney if i don't have red onions on hand.

You need:

  • 1 large red onion
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 4 stalks of coriander
  • 1 tbsp -2 tbsp red chilli powder( RCP spiciness varies )
  • 1/2 lemon sized tamarind
  • a pinch of sugar
  • salt to taste


Note: Do not use mushy or yellow color onion layers. This ruins the chutney on the whole. I will always make sure i am using good onion for this chutney.

How To:
  • Microwave tamarind with some water for 30 sec
  • Chop onions ( should fit your blender )
  • In a blender add onion, tamarind, curry leaves, coriander, red chilli powder and salt
  • Do not add water from tamarind add the soft pulp, otherwise the chutney would become watery
  • Grind coarsely( i use chopper to get the effect of using mortar)



You can add tempering or tadka if you want , but for myself this onion chutney with ghee would be more than enough with Idly or Dosa. Cant beat this combination!!

Tags: onion chutney, Pachi erragadda pachadi, Raw Onion Chutney

18 COMMENTS:

Raks said...

Wow!! its a mouth watering!!And its hot!!

Unknown said...

Love the Color... looks HOT!!

Anonymous said...

I love this chutney. I make variations by adding pottu kadalai or without pottukadalai and sometimes I fry the onions in little oil before I make chutney. All of them are very tasty.

Timepass said...

Lovely..Looking at the pic itself, I decided to make this dish shortly

Richa said...

my mouth is watering looking at the chutney, YUM :) Guess lemon juice would work too, but won't give the color, right!
Thanks for leaving a trail on my blog!

Kalva said...

Yes Rajeswari this chutney is hot and spicy, And the best part this chutney tastes better when made really spicy.

Kalva said...

Thanks Cinnamon and Timepass for you wonderful comments! Checked your blogs, very cute!

Kalva said...

Lakshmi, yes i make another chutney with sauteed onions . Click here for the recipe. Hmm donno what is pottu kadalai though(would google it).

Kalva said...

Richa, yes i think you can substitute tamarind with lemon( but i never tried though, would give it a try ). About color, that color is from RCP and red onions, may be you can expect same color with lemon too..

Kumudha said...

The picture looks so good.
I like onion chutney with dosas.

Thistlemoon said...

That looks nice and spicy! Love it!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

remya said...

delicious spicy chutney!!!!....i like dosa n onion chutney combo...so easy n tasty too....

Rina said...

I make this most of the times to have with Idly.

Namratha said...

Hmm this is an interesting variation on how we make Onion Chutney, looks mouth watering!

Anonymous said...

hey lalitha.....


may be you should have party with all of your 21 dishes!!
if not allmay be 8-9 will be good
:-)
Abhigya

Sreelu said...

Kalva, Nice recipe will give it a try, thanks for stopping by my blog. added you to my blogroll

Kalva said...

Wow, thanks Kumuda, Jenn, Remya, Rina,Namratha , Abhigya and Sreelu for your wonderful comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Laavanya said...

I simply love this... can imagine how spicy this must be. Perfect with your set dosa huh? *mouth-watering*

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button