Back home mom makes sure to cook greens at least 4-5 times a week, be it sautee(talimpu), with pulses( pappu ), chutney( pachadi) or stew( pulusu ). We do get a lot of fresh green vegetables every day, a lady sells exclusively green vegetables grown in her farm. They are so vibrant, crisp, tender and fresh from the garden! It used to my routine everyday to accompany mom in buying fresh veggies everyday.. There are so many greens available back home like palakura( spinach ), thotakura( amaranth ), molaka kura, bacchali kura( malabar spinach ), munagaaku( drumstick leaves), menthu kura( fenugreek leaves), avisaku , gongura(Sorrel leaves ).  One of my favorite greens is Bachchali aaku in telugu and purslane, chinese spinach, oriental spinach, ceylon spinach,malabar spinach in english, However i found that its botanical name is Basella alba. Being green leafy vagetable this is high in fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, Calcium and Iron but low in calorie and fatfree( ofcourse). This Purslane leaves are more crispier and higher in water content than spinach. Heres one simple way of cooking this bachali aaku with raw or sour mango.




Ingredients:
  • 2-3 handfuls of Bachali aaku
  • 1 cup toor dal
  • 1/2 cup raw mango chunks
  • 5-6 green chillies
  • 1 tomato
  • 5-10 curry leaves
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1-2 tbsp oil


How To:


  • Clean the leaves and chop them, don't discard the stems if they are tender chop them too
  • Chop onions, tomatoes and green chillies
  • Peel raw mango and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • Wash and clean tuwar dal
  • In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds ad they start to crackle add curry leaves followed by tomatoes, mango chunks and bachali aaku along with some turmeric
  • Add the soaked and drained toor dal, saute for a couple of minutes and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Alternatively you can cook separately until the dal is completely cooked
  • Adjust salt to taste and finish it off with cilantro

15 COMMENTS:

Niloufer Riyaz said...

simple yet delicious!!

Hari Chandana said...

Very healthy dal.. yummy!!

hussvamp said...

it´s really Interesting to see ... thank you it's well done :)

Unknown said...

I am fan of green leafy vegetable. I am agree with the fact that these are more crispier and higher in water content than spinach but I like traditional touch so I will mix this with few best indian food recipes and prepare unique dishes.

رحلات سياحية said...

great
i love your blog a lot.

Unknown said...

Thanks for ur recipe... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Indian Curries Recipes

Rajeev said...

Hi,
This has been a great recipe and a life saviour for few veggies out here.

Thanks
Rajeev

Unknown said...

Hey recipe really looks very good. I just wanted to know what the leaf is called in english. Sorry I am not that familiar with telugu. I actually have practised terrace gardening and I grow a lot many leafy vegetable stuffs. I just got a bit confused seeing the picture you have put so please let me know about the name of the leaf there.
And thanks for the recipe. I want to try this recipe and after I get your reply I will be doing it, already I have purchased all the ingredients from an online supermarket.

nandoos kitchen said...

nice, tasty, healthy recipe. Love to have it anytime. First time here. Nice space.

Detectives Mumbai said...

Simply delicious recipe. I just tried it. It's very tasty.:)

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe last month and it came out so well..then I shared to all my family and they all made...It's just a bit-time consuming but it's awesome! This is now one of my favorite Indian recipes ever! Cheers!

Sumit said...

Eager to eat this. Looks lovely and delicious. Thanks for sharing this.

anusia said...

It looks yummy and tasty. I must try out someday.

Padma said...

Hi!... Came across ur blog!!...Great effort…nice pics..will
follow ur blog. Already went through some recipes. I love any aaku kura pappu!!
Please do visit my space!!
www.masalakorb.com

anusia said...

Its a very nice recipe. Beautiful dish.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button