Beetroot is one of my favorite vegetables. When i was a kid i remember i used to eat just the curry without any rice or bread. My mom used to say beetroot will add new blood to our body and thats true. My mom makes beetroot curry with coconut and peas. But this one with besan is from my MIL(mother-in-law). Besan coats the beetroot pieces and it tastes so good. Beetroot just sauteed with some tadka or tempuring itself is simply delicious., but adding besan(chickpea flour) gives it a new flavor.


I know its very hard to peel and chop the beets( in USA are so large ). I used to have hard time peeling and chopping beets. But not anymore, my cousin asked me to cook the beets( cut into 4 parts ) with the skin on in pressure cooker with some water and salt. And once they are cooked, the peel comes off just with the finger pressure right away, and chopping the beets couldnt be any easier.

A closer look at the beetroot

You need:
  • 1 big beetroot or 2 small beetroots
  • 8-10 green chillies split lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup besan aka chick pea flour
  • salt to taste
For tadka or seasoning:

  • 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp chana dal( optional )
  • 1 tsp urad dal( optional )
  • a pinch of turmeric
  • 10 curry leaves
  • Salt to taste


Boiled and cubed beets, along with besan aka chickpea flour

How to:

  • Boil the beets as i told before using pressure pan.
  • Chop the boiled beets into bite size pieces
  • Heat oil in kadai and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal
  • Once it starts popping add curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric and chopped beets
  • Fry them for 5 min stirring occasionally
  • Add chick pea flour or besan at this point just sprinkle some water, reduce the heat and cook it covered for 2 more minutes. Cook until the raw smell from the besan disappers.
  • Adjust salt to taste


Serve this beetroot fry ( beetroot besan ) with hot rice, roti or chapathi. And the best part is this curry tastes even better without any rice or bread( atleast for me )!

Tags: Beetroot besan, Beetroot curry, Beetroot vepudu, Beets fry

10 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Wow beetroot and besan? would definitely give it a try! looks yummy!

Lisa Turner said...

Yum! I recently become quite a fan of beets. I'll be trying this one for sure. Thank you. Love your blog.

Hetal said...

Nice blog and this recipe looks good,never tasted it..

Contented Consumer said...

I highly recommend this recipe! I only wish I'd made twice as much-- it's that good. I've never seen it anywhere else so I'm very grateful you shared it. By the way, I added onions, garlic, and ginger but otherwise made it exactly as you described. Yum, yum, yum.

Kalva said...

Hi Dhyana, glad you liked it.. Next time id try your way with onions, garlic and ginger...

amna said...

oooh this is a rare combo i shud say :) nice one :)

Anonymous said...

I tried the recipe today and it turned out great...The only difference is I did not pressure cook the beetroot so it retained its crunchy texture,also I cooked longer than 5 minutes and more than two minutes after adding besan...Thanks
Ritu

Anonymous said...

This was a great recipe. I made it for my husband and myself but ended up eating it all before he came home. :-)
I loved it just by itself, without rice or chapati. Today, I will make it again. Hopefully, this time I'll leave some for my husband!

Anonymous said...

I will try it as well!!!!

Unknown said...

Nice recipe...I like it..check out some of mine also...http://bachifood.blogspot.com

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button