Simplicity in this Tomato And Kasuri Methi curry speaks a lot, be it in taste, aroma, flavor, easiness or texture. Usually if we are going to have chapathis i plan ahead for curries like palak paneer, bendi masala, dal makhani, matar paneer. But sometimes out of the blue my husband asks for chapathi., then i have to whip up some simple quick and easy curries. In that list comes first Tomato And Peas Curry. You can play with the herbs, garlic or even kasoori methi , any of these would completely transform the plain tomato curry to a brand new recipe. Usually i add either peas or paneer. This time i added Kasuri methi. This gave unique flavor to the dish and i was surprised to learn adding a couple of tbsps of Kasuri methi enchances so much flavor and wonderful aroma into the dish. Wish i had used kasuri methi long back!
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp kasoori methi
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup milk / half n half / fresh cream
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander( dhaniya) powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- a pinch of turmeric
- 2 stalks of coriander or cilantro
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
This curry satisfies all the taste palettes. The sourness from tomato, sweetness( and creaminess ) from milk, bitterness from kasuri methi and spice from the red chilli powder. What else can we ask for in this simple dish?
- Chop onions and tomatoes very finely
- In a kadai or sauce pan heat oil and add onions
- Agg green peas and fry
- Saute onions till golden brown( TIP: you can add some sugar to let onions brown quickly )
- Optional: You can add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and fry for 10 sec
- Add powders and tomatoes.
- When oil starts to seperate add kasuri methi leaves
- Add milk and cook until the gravy becomes creamy
- You can even add fresh cream or half n half if you dont count those calories
- Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro
Dont take my word how easy and delicious this Methi Mutter Tamatar curry is, try it for yourself. I am sure you will comeup with some new variations to the recipe and i would love to hear all that! Tomato Kasuri Methi Peas curry tastes delicious with hot rice or chapathi.
Tags:Kasuri Methi, Peas And Tomato Curry, Tomato Curry