Palak Paneer is a popular indian dish orginated from Punjab( North India ). This mildly flavored curry is made with spinach(palak) and indian cottage cheese( paneer ). This is a delicious and super healthy dish. I know there are so many variations for this recipe, but the basic idea is not to overpower the dish with spices. I make palak paneer in 2 types., but this one is the tastier and easier of the two.



Ingredients:

  • 1 box chopped frozen boxed spinach
  • 2 big onions
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 15 - 20 1 inch paneer cubes
  • 3 - 4 green chillies( please adjust spice to your taste, as the hotness of the chillies varies )
  • 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
  • 2 tbsp coriander( dhaniya) powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin( jeera ) powder
  • 1 tbsp curry powder or garam masala
  • 1/2 tbsp dried mango powder( amchur powder )
  • 12 cashews( optional ) or 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 tbsp red chilli powder( if required )
  • 1 cup milk


Procedure:
  • Cook the frozen spinach in microwave for 5 min
  • In a chopper or food processor chop onions with green chilies very finely
  • Chop the spinach similarly
  • In a microwave blanch tomatoes and puree them
  • Heat kadai( pan ) with little oil or butter and fry paneer( cheese ) cubes until golden brown
  • In the same pan add jeera( cumin seeds optional )
  • Once the cumin seeds are browned, add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell fades
  • Now all the powders and saute for 15 sec.
  • Add the chopped onions and fry till the onions are browned
  • Add the spinach paste and fry until the oil comes out from paste
  • Add tomato puree and cook till the water evaporates
  • To this add milk and cook stirring occasionally
  • You can either add powdered cashew nuts paste or cream at this point
  • Cook till done and adjust salt and spice to taste.
Serve this palak paneer hot with rice, biriyani, chapathi or naan.

Tags: indian cottage cheese and spinach curry, indian spinach, palak curry, palak paneer, saag paneer

6 COMMENTS:

meeth said...

I just made this last weekend and it turned out really good. I have to admit half way through the recipe I thought it wasn't going to turn out but I stuck with it and it tasted great! Thanks again for all your fool proof recipes!

Kalva said...

Nice Meeth that your palak paneer turned out great. Dont worry, it happens to me too all of a sudden i think my dish is gonna turn to be a big flop., but to my surprise most of the times the end product comes out simply delicious. I have to say this, since the spicyness and the size of the chillies varies, i always fear if its going to be less or more spicy for someone like you when you try the recipe for yourself. So i apologize and ask you you adjust spiciness to your taste. Thanks agian for calling my recipes FOOL PROOF.

sheetal said...

hi saw ur site first time today. gr8 recipes:-) just one querry.... is it possible to substitute frozen spinach with fresh ones? if yes then how many cups? will be gr8ful for ur answer.
thankyou
sheetal

KALVA said...

Hi Sheethal ,
I am very glad that you liked my site.

I actually used fresh spinach for palak paneer may be just once. Its 1 boxed frozen spinach is equivalent to 1 pound fresh spinach. You can just cook the spinach in very little water and then puree. This should work, do let me know if you have any other questions.. I would be glad to reply... Thanks again Sheethal!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Yummy recipe dear...lovely click too...

Anonymous said...

I will try this recipe tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out. I have been looking for Pala Paneer recepe for some time and I found this one to be apealing. I am going to use fresh spinach.

Thanks

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button