In India the most common bread is Chapathi( flat whole wheat bread looks like a tortilla ). Since it is usually served in every meal it can be called Indian Bread. Chapatis are made using fine whole wheat flour, oil, water( milk ) and salt. It is a very healthy replacement for rice because of its high fiber content and when fortified it has more nutritional benefits. Since these doesnt require yeast the dough can be made freshly every day and when stored properly can be used for atleast 2 weeks. Usually chapatis are served with some lentil curry(dal) or vegetable( or meat ) curry, yogurt(curd) and fresh salad.
For making 10-12 chapthis you require:
- 2 cups fine whole wheat flour( atta )
- 3/4 - 1 cup warm water or milk
- 2-3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Some extra flour for dusting rotis/chapthis when rolling
- Use food processor if you have one.
- Warm water or milk in a microwave.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, salt, sugar, oil or ghee and mix together.
- Slowly add warm water or milk and knead it into a soft dough.
- Knead the dough with for 10 minutes and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Let it rest for atleast 20 min.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions and coat them with flour.
- Roll each one into a 6 inch flat round tortilla or roti.
- In the meanwhile heat griddle or tawa under medium heat.
- Put the rolled out roti on the griddle and heat on one side., once the bubbles start appearing flip the roti and heat it on the other side just for 15 sec.
- Remove it and apply ghee or roll a butter stick on the hot chapati and cover it with a lid.
- Cook the remaining chapathis the same way and pile up these rotis like pancakes.
- I normally wrap 5-10 rotis in aluminium foil and freeze them. I will bake the whole foil packet in the oven just before eating for 20 min under 350F. These come as handy in the eleventh hour.
We use whole wheat flour to make puris( deep fried bread ), stuffed chapathi or partha, stuffed potato whole wheat bread( aloo paratha ), fenugreek leaves stuffed bread, Cheese stuffed rotis, Spinach chapati/roti, Onion whole wheat bread and many variations. I will post these recipes soon.
Tags:chapathi, chapati, indian bread, indian whole wheat bread, roti