This is my second recipe for Okra. I love to try different recipes with bendakaya and i can have it in any which way. I know people cook so many dishes with okra like okra fry, okra and tomato curry, okra with coconut, okra in kadai, okra pulusu and also sambar. My grandma takes another step and does bendakaya pachadi( Bendi Chutney). Yes! she does and it tastes heavenly, However I havent done myself, i will ask her and make it sometime soon. But for now you can make my Easy, Spicy And Crunchy Okra Fry. This is my mother in law recipe. This one is not at all sticky and okra pieces stay separate. I know people doesnt like to cook it because of its stickiness., but i have no problem because i know how to work it out. Please click here for tips on cooking okra.
For the fry you can make this velluli karam( coconut and garlic chilli powder ) ahead. Since it stays good for atleast 1 month in refrigerator i make it atonce and use it for aloo, tindora, eggplant and aratikaya(raw plantain) i mean this goes well with any vegetable fry.
How to make velluli karam:
- 2 cups dried grated coconut( unsweetened )
- 1/4 cup red chilli powder
- 2 garlic pods
- less than 1/4 cup salt
For the OKRA FRY you need:
- 25 large okras or 45 small okras1 large red onion
- 2 tbsp velluli karam
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- Chop onions into inch cubes or juliene strips
- Chop okra or bendakaya into 1/2 inch pieces
- In a kadai or pan heat oil and add mustard and cumin seeds( temputing is optional )
- Once they start to pop add curry leaves, chopped onions and chopped okra
- Add lemon or lime juice so that okra wouldnt be sticky
- Keep frying, until okra is crisp golden and cooked
- Once they are browned add velluli miram( said above ) and saute until well blended.
- Adjust miram, salt and spice to taste.
Since we added lime juice, the okra wouldnt be sticky at all. This is very crispy and spicy. Serve this bendakaya fry with chapathi, roti or hot rice.
Tags:Bendakaya vellipaya Miram, Bendi Fry, Okra Fry, Okra Garlic And Cocunut Curry