Looking for the above Tomato Pappu( Tomato Dal ) recipe? Click here!
I use red potatoes(boiling potatoes) for this dish, since i need to boil them first otherwise they would fall apart. If i am frying directly i would like to use Idaho potatoes. But back home i never knew the difference between boiling and baking potatoes. Just relish whatever my mom cooks hehehe!
- 2 - 3 large red potatoes or 6 small red potatoes
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp amchur powder( dry mango powder )
- 4-5 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- First boil the potatoes. I cook in the microwave with potatoes in a microwave safe bowl covered with some water. I remember how long it used to take when cooked in pressure pan, and with the use of microwave boiling potatoes is no more time consuming and hard. Coudnt make it any easier!
- You can boil the potatoes even the day before and save it in the refrigerator.
- Let the boiled potatoes cool to room temperature
- Heat oil in kadai or flat bottomed pan
- Chop the potatoes into 1 inch cubes
- Fry these potatoes until golden brown
- Place these potatoes as just one layer and fry without stirring occasionally and then on the other sides. If you stir them often they are gonna fall apart. Just leave them undisturbed until they get golden brown on one side and repeat same thing on other sides.
- Drain them on paper towels
- Optional: You can fry 10 curry leaves in the same oil and mix with the potatoes
- Add red chilli powder, amchur powder and salt
- Adjust spices and salt to taste.
This fry is simple yet very spicy, Crispy and yummy. You can have this as appetizerwith tooth pick on each one or serve with hot rice or pulka, chapathi or roti. The sourness from amchur powder takes the very basic and simple aloo fry to the next level.
This is my entry to Whats Your favorite Diet Food. Since i am boiling first and then sauteeing in oil, it takes very less time to brown unlike deep frying the raw potato. This itself cuts the fat by more than half( once in a blue moon we do count for the fat and calories ). I make this one when my husband asks for potato fry and he will finish even before eating with rice. You wouldnt even know the difference and i myself like this way better than complete deep frying.
MY TIP FOR BOILING POTATOES:
You can cook the whole potatoes if they were small or cut into half. Place them in microwave safe bowl with half cup of water and cook them covered for 5 min. Now check for doneness and turn them on the other side and cook for 2 more min. Let the potatoes cool and peel the skin off. You can even store them in the fridge for 2 days and these come very handy.
I boil the potatoes using microwave, alternatively sometimes i just rub some oil on the potatoes and add salt , red chilli powder and microwave for 1 more min. Tada spicy potatoes are done. Serve these potatoes as appetizer and hence this is my recipe for EASY MICROWAVE COOKING EVENT hosted by Srivalli.
Tags: Aloo fry, Alugadda fry, bandar vepudu, Bangala dumpa vepudu, Spicy Potato Fry, Urlagadda vepudu