Posted by KALVA at 11:53:00 PM
Wish you all a very happy Bhogi, Pongal, Sankranthi and Kanuma. On Bhogi we do Bhogi pallu ( blessing the kids with some flowers and fruits ). We used to have so much fun doing it. We did for our baby too, and she couldn't stop eating Borugulu( rice puffs ) from the Bhogi Pallu which she is not actually supposed to eat though.. Read more here on my last year post on Sankranthi. Most common sweets and savories on Pongal are Ariselu, Kesari, Bobbatlu, Poornalu, Gulab Jamun( from scratch ), Carrot Halwa, Vada, Pulihora etc., Ammamma used to make a lot these during pongal and we kids had so much fun relishing them!! Love you grandma!
Bhogi Kundalu ( Pongal Pots ) Rangoli with Rice Flour( Biyyam Pindi )
Bhogi Pallu For Blessing Kids On Bhogi
Here is the most popular and easiest of all sweets, Ravva Kesari. Semolina / Ravva / Sooji sweet made with raisins and nuts. A super simple sweet ready in minutes!!
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji / Bombay Ravva
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 stick butter or 1/4 cup butter or ghee
- Saffron or food color
- In a thick kadai, add ghee/ butter along with cashew nuts, once the cashews are browned add raisins and fry for few seconds, add sooji and keep stirring until it turns golden brown.
- In the meanwhile boil the water in a separate vessel
- Once the ravva/sooji is fried enough reduce the heat and add water stirring continuously just like you do for upma. Mix well and cover with lid and cook it under very low heat
- Now measure sugar and add it to the mixture and keep stirring
- Once the sugar is melted, remove from the stove and keep aside.
- If you want you can either add some saffron soaked in milk or a pinch of food color in boiling water.
- Tada, Ravva kesari is ready to be relished in minutes.
This ravva kesari does get crumbled once its stored in the refrigerator , don't worry heat it up in microwave in 30 second intervals and you are good to go!
Here are some popular sweets and savouries that are specially cooked on Pongal/Sankranthi or any Festivals in India.
P.S. Everyone has unique taste palette, so please adjust the ingredients according to your taste.