Sweet Potato and Coconut Parathas / Flat Breads -- Gensigadda/ Chilakada dumpa Kobbari Roti and an Award!!Posted by KALVA at 4:02:00 PM
A bunch of thanks for Mythreyee of "Paajaka" who is hosting a "Sweet Series-Sweet Rotis" event., otherwise i could have never made these healthy, moist and soft rotis, I wouldn't have thought out of the box for coming up with these Simple n Nutritious Sweet Potato and Coconut Parathas.. As soon as i saw the announcement, i started thinking of various sweet rotis grandmas, mom and my MIL makes, but i wanted to something even simpler than those.. Usually the sweet rotis they make are Sojjappam/Halva Poori , Oliga/Puran poli and Paala Poori.. But these are time consuming and you need to have both time and patience( Hehehe, I am very bad at this though!!! )..
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1/4 cup dried coconut or fresh coconut grated very fine
- 3/4 - 1 cup whole wheat flour( Atta )
- 1 cardamom grounded / 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Sugar/jaggery according to taste
- Ghee or butter stick for cooking
Method Of Preparation:
- Cook the sweet potato in a microwave under potato setting in a microwave safe bowl covered with very little water.
- Once the sweet potato is completely cooked, peel and mash the sweet potato. While its hot add jaggery / sugar, elaichi( cardamom powder ), nutmeg, salt.
- If you want to add dried coconut add it now, otherwise if you wanna use fresh scraped coconut add it once the sweet potato mixture is cooled to room temperature
- Once the potato is cooled, add some milk( optional) add flour and try to bind together.. You might need to adjust the amount of flour, milk according to the size of the sweet potato..
- The dough should be very soft and moist.. Apply ghee( clarified butter ) allover the dough keep it covered for half an hour. Resting is a must for moist rotis.
- Divide and roll out the dough using very less flour.., and heat them on the griddle just like chapathis., for instructions on hot to heat and store them click here.
- Serve them hot or cover them for later..
Serve these sweet potato coconut flat breads with some fresh ripened straw berries.. These rotis came out thin and very moist. I just bought some more sweet potatoes from farmers market to make these rotis again.. Hail to sweet potato...!!! These sweet potato rotis are going to be in my regular everyday Menu from now on...
Thanks Shubha of Chutki Bhaar Pyar for giving this Rocking Girl Blogger Award.. I feel elated, thanks dear.. I would like to pass this award to each and every blogger in this Food Blogosphere who put so time and effort in cooking, taking pictures and posting the recipes... Hail to all fellow Bloggers!!!...!
My sweet potato and coconut whole wheat rotis are rich in protein from Whole wheat flour, coconut and sweet potato... And these sweet potato and coconut rotis are on their way to: