Ever bored having same old plain idly? How about the leftover idlies? Here comes a simple lip smacking makeover for the leftover idlies, my Cocktail Idly aka Crispy Idly Chaat. I know kids makes faces when you ask them to eat the plain idlies., next time try this recipe and i am sure they leave asking for more. This is not only kid friendly but wonderful with Chai or Hot tea in the evenings.
- 6-8 Idlies( i usually use leftovers from morning breakfast )
- 1 large vine ripened tomato
- 1 small onion
- 1 lemon
- Red chilli powder to taste
- Chaat masala to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- First prep up the idlies, onion and tomatoes. Cube idlies, chop up onion and tomato.
- In a kadai / frying pajn heat oil and deep fry cubed idlies, drain them onto paper and keep aside
- In a mixing bowl, add fried idly pieces, onion, tomato, cilantro, red chilli powder, chat masala, salt and lemon juice
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it right away
Any leftover idlies from the morning gets converted to this simple Idly Chaat, and my husband likes it so much, i end up making fresh batch of Idlies exclusive for this Cocktail idly. This is so simple yet bursting with lots of flavor from tomatoes, onions , cilantro and Lime Juice.