Who wouldn't love Noodles? Its a family favorite for us though.. Maggi introduced to the wholesome delicious family of noodles, and back then when we were kids having noodles was like a Once in a Blue moon thing like a delicacy and would slurp up every bite of it... even now sometimes i do really crave for Oriental flavors and the quick and easy meal within reach for me is always a packet of Maggi or Top ramen Noodles, and build layers of flavors to make it Earthy and Satisfying.. My noodles with vegetables is the most versatile quick and healthy meal that i could think of, ready in minutes. I brought these Maggi whole wheat noodles once long back( yep, sometimes i act like a whole grain freak... looking for whole grains everywhere ) and it wasn't that bad.., i couldn't see any difference from the regular noodles and from then the whole wheat noodles became a regular item in my pantry...
I would say a big NO-NO if you want to eat a packet noodles ( as it is ) without any vegetables and i like to always sneak in fresh and crisp vegetables along with some protein say eggs, tofu or Edamame. In this week's trip to farmers market i bought some fresh baby Portobella mushrooms, scallions and crisp Red and Green peppers, and i couldn't restrain from using them in my favorite noodles. Using whole wheat noodles , Edamame and fresh green veggies give this meal a good dose of Fiber and Protein..
You need( 2-3 servings ):
- 1 packet whole wheat noodles
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 4-5 green chillies
- 7-8 baby Portobella mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1-2 scallions
- 1 cup shredded Cabbage
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 - 2inch ginger root
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 tsp ajinomoto
- Cilantro and Mint
- 1 packet seasoning ( if you are using packaged noodles )
- 2-3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- black salt to taste
Preparation( 20 - 30 mins ):
- Cook the noodles separately, drain in cold water apply oil and then keep aside.
- Julienne all the vegetables, onions, green and red bell peppers, scallions, cabbage except for tomatoes and mushrooms
- Slice mushrooms thin and tomatoes into chunks(optional )
- Chop green chillies, ginger and garlic very fine
- In a bowl mix in the seasoning( if you have one ), soya sauce, tomato ketchup, black salt sugar to taste and keep aside
- In a wok/ kadai heat oil ( use highest heat setting available) and then add onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic followed by Edamame and ajinomoto( i can get only frozen soy beans that too from Whole Foods only )
- Cook for few seconds and then add green and red bell peppers saute for a minute and then drop in mushrooms , cabbage and scallions( in order ). Saute all the veggies and make sure they are not overcooked( they should still be crisp ).
- Mix in noodles and tossing or mixing vigorously( you don't want the noodles to stick to the wok )
- Add cilantro and Mint( last layer of flavor ) and adjust salt to taste...
- Serve hot with Ketchup / Maggi Tomato Sauce or even better Sriracha Hot Sauce....
- I usually use veggies twice the amount of noodles, just another easier way of having veggies without any complaints
- Make sure you cook at very high heat and keep tossing until the veggies are cooked, most of the times they will be cooked in no time..
- The key for these noodles is to keep all ingredients ready even before you try to lit the wok up.
My Spicy Whole Wheat Noodles and Vegetables Stir fry is on its way to these wonderful events: