Who wouldn't love Noodles? Its a family favorite for us though.. Maggi introduced to the wholesome delicious family of noodles, and back then when we were kids having noodles was like a Once in a Blue moon thing like a delicacy and would slurp up every bite of it... even now sometimes i do really crave for Oriental flavors and the quick and easy meal within reach for me is always a packet of Maggi or Top ramen Noodles, and build layers of flavors to make it Earthy and Satisfying.. My noodles with vegetables is the most versatile quick and healthy meal that i could think of, ready in minutes. I brought these Maggi whole wheat noodles once long back( yep, sometimes i act like a whole grain freak... looking for whole grains everywhere ) and it wasn't that bad.., i couldn't see any difference from the regular noodles and from then the whole wheat noodles became a regular item in my pantry...


I would say a big NO-NO if you want to eat a packet noodles ( as it is ) without any vegetables and i like to always sneak in fresh and crisp vegetables along with some protein say eggs, tofu or Edamame. In this week's trip to farmers market i bought some fresh baby Portobella mushrooms, scallions and crisp Red and Green peppers, and i couldn't restrain from using them in my favorite noodles. Using whole wheat noodles , Edamame and fresh green veggies give this meal a good dose of Fiber and Protein..


You need( 2-3 servings ):

  • 1 packet whole wheat noodles
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green pepper
  • 4-5 green chillies
  • 7-8 baby Portobella mushrooms
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 tomato
  • 1-2 scallions
  • Cilantro
  • 1 cup shredded Cabbage
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 - 2inch ginger root
  • 2-3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
  • 1 tsp ajinomoto
  • Cilantro and Mint



Fresh Portobella Mushrooms from Farmers Market




Crisp Red Pepper and Scallions

For the sauce:
  • 1 packet seasoning ( if you are using packaged noodles )
  • 2-3 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp soya sauce
  • black salt to taste


Preparation( 20 - 30 mins ):
  • Cook the noodles separately, drain in cold water apply oil and then keep aside.
  • Julienne all the vegetables, onions, green and red bell peppers, scallions, cabbage except for tomatoes and mushrooms
  • Slice mushrooms thin and tomatoes into chunks(optional )
  • Chop green chillies, ginger and garlic very fine
  • In a bowl mix in the seasoning( if you have one ), soya sauce, tomato ketchup, black salt sugar to taste and keep aside
  • In a wok/ kadai heat oil ( use highest heat setting available) and then add onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic followed by Edamame and ajinomoto( i can get only frozen soy beans that too from Whole Foods only )
  • Cook for few seconds and then add green and red bell peppers saute for a minute and then drop in mushrooms , cabbage and scallions( in order ). Saute all the veggies and make sure they are not overcooked( they should still be crisp ).
  • Mix in noodles and tossing or mixing vigorously( you don't want the noodles to stick to the wok )
  • Add cilantro and Mint( last layer of flavor ) and adjust salt to taste...
  • Serve hot with Ketchup / Maggi Tomato Sauce or even better Sriracha Hot Sauce....






Note:
  • I usually use veggies twice the amount of noodles, just another easier way of having veggies without any complaints
  • Make sure you cook at very high heat and keep tossing until the veggies are cooked, most of the times they will be cooked in no time..
  • The key for these noodles is to keep all ingredients ready even before you try to lit the wok up.

My Spicy Whole Wheat Noodles and Vegetables Stir fry is on its way to these wonderful events:

53 COMMENTS:

Illatharasi said...

Wow! great pictures, good demonstration:)

Noodle is looking yummy :)

Seema said...

The photos r too good Kalva!! Noodles look yum yum & can see a great serving a veggies going in too...Yes a neat way to get in veggies minus complains & grumbles!!

Andhra Flavors said...

great demonstration. pics shows everything.

notyet100 said...

looks delicious,.nice pics,..too,,

delhibelle said...

noodles look delish..I saw something similar in KL, they call it maggi goreng!

ST said...

WOW.....Pics are drooling....Noodles look really mouthwatering and tempting......

@the_whisk_affair said...

awesome recipe kalva!! and great pic ideas too..they r really tempting!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Lovely pics...Nice color of noodles

Anonymous said...

We do crave for these kind of noodles once in a while in our house. Adding the mushrooms to the stir fry makes it healthy too!

Unknown said...

Hey Kalva,

It looks so yummy! I love noodles - its one of all time fav and your pics are so droolworthy. Thanks for sending them my way :)

DK
http://culinarybazaar.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Lovely noodles..made healthy with veggies..

Shreya said...

Hi your pictures are just amazing. That bowl of vegetables look like they can't wait to be chopped and stir fried:-) I love this dish, and the fact that it goes to 4 different events is testimony that it is healthy and tasty and worth a try!

Vaishali said...

Kalva, such beautiful, fresh veggies. And the recipe took me down memory lane. The noodles look gorgeous.

Cynthia said...

I love the colouring on your photographs! The second photograph is particularly attractive.

KALVA said...

Thanks Latha, hope th pictures give quick vision..

Thanks Seema, to be honest i dont like noodles or fried rice minus vegetables.. I always fresh vegetables in both... If fresh are not in hand, i opt for frozen vegetables !!!

KALVA said...

Thanks Andhra Flavors, im really glad that i was able to take pictures while cooking...
Thanks Notyet,,, this is my favorite way of having veggeies..

Bhawana said...

good one. Pictures are just too good. Lovely :)

bha said...

loved those photographs.....stir fried vegetable noodles look yum

TBC said...

Your pics are looking really good!
Nice multipurpose entry.:D

Kalva said...

Hi DelhiBelle, i didnt really quite get whats KL( maggi goreng ). lemem google up..

Thanks Sireesha, yep the noodles were absoulte delight ...

Kalva said...

Thanks JZ, i dont like the noodles to be bland, i alwasy like spice things up and bring in lot of flavors and colors, be it through vegggies or herbs and spices...It should be a colorful feast to me...

Kalva said...

Zlamushka, you are hosting such a alovely event.. tried and tasted,., i would definitely try to comeup with something from Meetas blog...

Kalva said...

Thanks Vanamala for leaving wonderful comments... Love your site too..

Yes LivToCook, adding mushrooms makes it appetizing for non-vegetarians too, because of its meaty texture and the low calorie veggie... Oh its healthy too...

Kalva said...

Thanks D for hosting such a wonderful event,,Cant wait for the next one dear...

Thanks Divya, yes adding veggies to the whole wheat noodles made them wholesome and nutritious meal...

Anonymous said...

Such lovely pictures. I loved your shots of mushrooms and peppers

Rashmi said...

wow.. u have nice blog.. the pictures are mouth watering...

do visit my blog when u find time and leave ur comments and suggestions..
http://envittuvirundhusamayal.blogspot.com

Swati said...

You've clicked lovely pictures and the noodles look yummy..my fav too..

KALVA said...

Thanks Shreya and Vaishali, yes the veggies were so fresh and crispy.. maggi takes me down the memory lane, so many wonderful memories...

KALVA said...

Thanks Cynthia, yes that my husbands favourite picture too.. veggies looked so good and fresh,,,

Thanks Bhawan, im so glad you guys liked teh pics and hope you like the recipe too.

KALVA said...

Thanks Bhags and TBC, yep the noodles were so yum and the combination of veggies can vary as per your taste,,, I love to combine veggies with fiber and protein...

Padma said...

Nice demo with great pictures! I love your write-up too...

Anonymous said...

those noodles are delish and tempting!
Thanks for regularly stopping by my blog :)
Hey Kalva, I have tagged you at http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/tagged/

Vaidehi Bhave said...

yummy looking noodles...

bee said...

great recipe. the second pic is fantastic.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Great pics. The moire effect on your pan is interesting. Is it a Circulon?

KALVA said...

Yep Nate n Annie, you gueesed it right.. Its a Circulon Stir Fry Pan.. and i absolutely love it!!

Dori said...

You really made these healthier, looks great!

Sunshinemom said...

That last picture is just too good, Kalva! Love the burst of colours:) Thanks for supporting me with the first colour event! I am hopping over to look at that link you sent but this one had me stumped for a while:)

Sunshinemom said...

Sorry! Didn't realize I was there. I did not clarify I guess but the post has to be between 27.07.08 and 27.08.08. I am sure you will come up with something beautiful:)

Kitt said...

Delicious! I love doctoring up so-called "instant" noodles. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I appreciate the thorough documentation of the steps.

Thanks for stopping by my blog a while ago. Somehow I missed your comment. Catching up now!

Sukanya Yogesh said...

Superb Pictures and the Noodles look so yummy, I wish I could eat them right out of the bowl you served in.

Y said...

I looove noodle stir fries, especially those packed with heaps of vegies and chilli ! :)

Illatharasi said...

Surprise for you in my blog, do check:)

http://illatharasi.blogspot.com/2008/08/bell-peppers-tikka-100th-post-awards.html

RM said...

I am a noodle fan...:) and these look too yummy too !
Rgds,
Sam !

Anonymous said...

Heavenly. Your Spicy Noodles look so good. I have every ingredient I need to recreate it, except for ajinomoto. So clueless. I'm curious to know what that is, so I'm off to google. Thank you for sharing.

Seena said...

Really very tempting picture, now I would like to get some from that.. :P

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas, I been trying my best to learn how to cook (decent meals :-)) wish me luck! Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

pigpigscorner said...

Love your pictures! I love frying maggi noodles, so flavourful!

Anonymous said...

Please pass that fork over to me. How delicious is that. Yummy!

Bindiya said...

superb pics and loved the step-by-step demo,thx for the recipe...

Unknown said...

Noodles are my fav, looks so yummy with lots of veggies.

Shubha Ravikoti said...

I am coming to ur blog for the first time and I am kinda loving it here.. u have an awesome blog and some really lip smacking really. Naa hubby telugu so nenu kuda chala andhra recipe try chestunanu. I am learning telugu now.. so forgive my telugu :P

Nice to meet u here...:D have subscribed to ur blog...:D

Namratha said...

Whole wheat noodles are an excellent choice, stir fry looks delicious Kalva :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button