Avocado, a fleshy fruit that's rich in heart healthy fats is available here( US ) almost all through the year. I came to know that avocado is nicknamed the “alligator pear” because of its shape and leathery skin. These avocados are packed with healthy mono saturated fats that help in reducing the LDL cholesterol levels and potassium in them reduces the risk of cancer. You can eat these avocados right off the branch, whip up some guacamole or just chop them up in salads.
While i was in India i have never heard of this fabulous fruit and the very first bite was very unusual as i was wondering how could a vegetable( or fruit ) could be this creamy, almost as soft as butter. There are two types of avocados, one is a Hass avocado with black hard rugged skin and the other one thin skinned green Fuerte. I found Hass avocados more creamier than the Green Fuertes.
My coworker, when she was pregnant she used to eat the whole avocado just like a fruit every morning along with her breakfast. She asked me to try a piece and let me tell you it was very creamy,lightly sweet and delicious ( until then i ha vent had an avocado directly except for the guacamole ).. In the very next visit to the farmers market i looked for these fruits and couldn't wait to experiment them in salads and dips.. My chunky and spicy guacamole is a perfect healthy dip for those hearty chips, So guys bring on those chips sitting in the pantry!!!
Ingredients you need:
- 2 Hass avocados( ripe but not too soft, press these avocados with a finger and if these make a dent they are too ripened, i would like to use them a day before that )
- 1/2 small red onion( only red onion, no yellow or white please )
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice( or lemon )
- 1 tsp lime or lemon rind
- half a bunch of coriander( cilantro ) leaves
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to make spicy chunky guacamole...
- Cut avocados in half, remove pit and scoop flesh out of shell with a spoon. Chop up the avocado into 1 inch bites and coat them with half lime/lemon juice, as this prevents from discoloration
- Chop green chillies, tomatoes and onions very finely
- In a large bowl add avocado and mash very little with a fork and then add tomato,green chillies, onions, black pepper and the rest of the lemon/lime juice
- Add chopped cilantro and mint leaves
- Mix in salt just before serving
This recipe is on its way to :
Note: Guacamole doesnt keep well, so make it at the last moment just before serving..
Tags: Dips, Appetizers, Guacamole, Avacodo, Lime, lemon, Mint, cilantro