Dosas are always mouth watering. Its very easy to make dosas instantly ONLY if you have the batter ready. Yep to make dosas you need planning like soaking the rice, grinding to batter and never forget the fermentation( leaving the batter overnight ). There are no shortcuts for this whole process.
But if you want to relish the delicious and crispy dosas instantly without any planning... comes to our rescue, "THE RAVA DOSA". Yes these dosas can be made any time of the day in a gif! These rava dosas are very thin, crisp and light. My mom makes the perfect crispy rava dosa. These do not require any fancy ingredients and i am sure you will have all these items in your pantry any time. All i can say is 'No one can just eat one rava dosa'!!
These holes are a good sign of perfect rava dosas..
- 1 cup sooji( Bombay ravva, Bombai Ravva )
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour( maida )
- 1/2 - 1 cup sour buttermilk
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup oil
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 stalks of coriander ( cilantro )
- salt to taste
- Sieve sooji, rice flour, maida and salt keep aside
- Chop green chillies, ginger and coriander very finely
- Mix the sieved flours, cumin seeds, ginger, chillies, curry leaves, coriander and buttermilk
- Keep it aside for 30 min( optional, if done would give best results )
- Add water and the batter should be relatively thin
- Heat griddle or tawa.
- You should make sure griddle is SIZZLING HOT!!
- Pour add 1 laddle full of batter rapidly from center to outward edge of the griddle in a circular motion. You should not spread the batter like you do for plain dosa.
- Don't panic to fill in all the holes. Those holes are a sign of perfect rava dosa
- Dot the edges of the dosa with a little oil and fry till golden brown.
- Flip and brown on the other side
- Before making each dosa make sure you stir the batter and pour otherwise all the rava (sooji ) would sink to the bottom. This is very important.
- If you still find that dosas arent crispy enough you can add tbsp of rice flour and try again.
Its okay if the first couple of rava dosas don't turn good, but i am sure its easy to get perfection(Even my first 2 rava dosas would be a big flop sometimes!). If you want you can even add some chopped onions to the batter. These ravva dosas are good when served hot and fresh. Serve this hot hot ravva dosa with chutney and pappula podi or sambar.Tags: Buttermilk Dosa, Rava Dosa, Ravva Dosa