This onion chutney is so easy to make yet very delicious. This is my favorite chutney for dosa and idly. My sister and brother likes boiled onion chutney( I should ask my sister for this recipe ). My mom is expert in making this red chutney. Though i have been making this chutney for more than couple of years yet could not replicate that taste exactly. That's why they say 'Mother is the best teacher and the BEST COOK too'. And for now let me blame the onions we get here in US.. hehehe, its not me anymore. This onion chutney takes just 5 minutes to make with very few ingredients.
I would suggest using red onion for this chutney. If you use yellow onion it makes the chutney taste bitter. I have very bad experiences making this chutney with yellow onions. I would better prefer to switch to cooked version of onion chutney if i don't have red onions on hand.
- 1 large red onion
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 stalks of coriander
- 1 tbsp -2 tbsp red chilli powder( RCP spiciness varies )
- 1/2 lemon sized tamarind
- a pinch of sugar
- salt to taste
Note: Do not use mushy or yellow color onion layers. This ruins the chutney on the whole. I will always make sure i am using good onion for this chutney.
- Microwave tamarind with some water for 30 sec
- Chop onions ( should fit your blender )
- In a blender add onion, tamarind, curry leaves, coriander, red chilli powder and salt
- Do not add water from tamarind add the soft pulp, otherwise the chutney would become watery
- Grind coarsely( i use chopper to get the effect of using mortar)
You can add tempering or tadka if you want , but for myself this onion chutney with ghee would be more than enough with Idly or Dosa. Cant beat this combination!!
Tags: onion chutney, Pachi erragadda pachadi, Raw Onion Chutney