Coconut and Tamarind In Fresh Coconut Chutney is a delicious marriage made in my mom's kitchen! Yep Coconut and tamarind gel so well in this tangy spicy fresh coconut chutney. I remember my first culinary adventure started with this coconut chutney and potato fry during my school days! This chutney is super simple yet tastes great! You can whip up this chutney in minutes and make sure you keep some of the chutney just for yourself before you bring it to the table, no kidding!! This chutney where Fresh coconut is ground with green chillies and tamarind and topped with tadka along with hing and curry leaves is definitely worth a try!!
- 1/4 of a shelled coconut
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 inch of tamarind
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 5 - 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- a dash of hing /asoeftedia
- salt to taste
- Chop fresh coconut into thin slices
- In a chopper/blender grind coconut, green chillies, tamarind and salt without adding any water( Note: Use pulse mode in the blender if you have one , and it should be roughly ground )
- In a separate kadai or pan do the tempering or tadka with oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Once the mustard seeds start to crackle switch off the heat and add curry leaves.
- Add the above tempering to the ground coconut and chilli chutney and mix everything together, adjust salt to taste and finish it off with cilantro( optional )
This chutney tastes so good with steaming hot rice along with some ghee/ butter. You even have this chutney along with Dosa, Idly, Upma, Pongal or anything you would like to! Don't plan on storing the leftover chutney as you wouldn't end up with some.. yep its that good.. Never forget to add the tempering as it adds so much depth and flavor to the already delicious Fresh Coconut Chutney.