Black Eyed Peas aka Alasandulu in Telugu are a very good source of Calcium, Protein, Fiber and Folate. Not to mention the Vitamin A found abundant in all lentils and beans.Since folic acid is very essential to pregnant women having a cup of cooked beans at least 3 times a week is a very delicious way to incorporate folate in their diet. Alasandalu / black eyed peas are one of the beans which doesn't require overnight soaking and pre planning. You can either directly pressure cook or soak for couple of hours and then cook. My mom usually makes different kinds of Chundal(Sundal, Usili ) i.e., seasoned beans as they are very good healthy alternative to any fried snacks like chips, pakora etc., These tempered black eyed peas / alasandula guggillu( SUNDAL ) are usually what my dad loves to eat in the evenings. This recipe is directly from moms kitchen!
- 1 cup Black eyed peas / Alasandalu / Bobbarlu
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 lemon
For seasoning( Tadka / popu ):
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp minapappu / urad dal
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5-10 curry leaves
- Soak black eyed peas/alasandalu for 1-2 hrs and then pressure cook with 2 cups of water( Until the beans are immersed in water )
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles or boil separately until they are cooked and tender( make sure they don't fall apart )
- Drain off the cooked beans ( Preserve the water , ill tell you a sumptuous way of using the liquid )
- In a saute pan heat oil, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and urad dal. Once they start to splutter add chopped onions and green chillies along with salt.
- Once the onions are cooked to translucent add the cooked peas and mix together.
- Switch off the heat, add lemon juice and finish it off with cilantro.
This healthy protein and fiber rich low fat snack tastes good when its steaming hot. You can wrap this tempered black eyed peas in a chapathi or wheat tortilla along with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers for a complete sumptuous low fat healthy nutritious meal perfect anytime of the day!
Don't throw the leftover water from the drained cooked black eyed peas. Mom makes Rasam(Soup) with some tomatoes, tamarind(optional) and any rasam powder with tadka or above tempering. This soup/rasam taste so earthy .. Try it to believe it!!! I'm sure you will love it!!