This is an appeal on behalf of a group of food bloggers who are friends of Briana Brownlow @ Figs With Bri. Bri was diagnosed with breast cancer two and half years ago. A mastectomy, chemotherapy and two years of relatively good health later, the cancer is back. It has metastasized to other parts of her body. At the age of 15, Bri lost her 41-year old mother to the disease. Now, she’s waging her own war against breast cancer. More about it here.
She is going through intensive chemo and other treatments and needs to focus single-mindedly on healing and finding what treatment works best for her. Her health insurance, unfortunately, does not cover holistic alternatives which she would like to try. Bri and her husband Marc have enough on their plates right now in addition to worrying about her medical bills.
The team organising the JUNE edition of CLICK at Jugalbandi has organised a fundraiser to help Bri and her family meet her out-of-pocket medical costs for ONE YEAR. CLICK is a monthly theme-based photography contest hosted by Jugalbandi. This month’s theme is: YELLOW for Bri .. Yellow is the colour of hope. Through the work of the LiveStrong Foundation, it has also come to signify the fight against cancer. The entries can be viewed HERE. The deadline for entries is June 30, 2008. The fundraiser will extend until July 15, 2008.
The target amount is 12,000 U.S. dollars. We appeal to our fellow bloggers and readers to help us achieve this. Bri deserves a chance to explore all options, even if her insurance company thinks otherwise. There’s a raffle with exciting prizes on offer. After viewing the list, you may make your donation HERE or at the Chip-In button on any participating site. Your donation can be made securely through credit card or Pay Pal and goes directly to Bri’s account. This month’s photo contest also has some prizes. Details HERE. You can support this campaign by donating to the fundraiser, by participating in CLICK: the photo event, and by publicising this campaign.
My Sour and spicy Buttermilk and Rice Flour soup is on its way to CLICK
I'm here with my Healthy Buttermilk and Rice Flour Soup aka Majjiga Pindi in Telugu, a recipe that cools down your body temperature in these hot summers... This recipe is from my Pinni( moms sister ) and it didn't take long for it to become an instant hit and i remember she once served this majjiga pindi / rice flour soup in a dried half coconut shell( sagam kobbari chippa ) and it was so much fun! The tangy buttermilk compliments the spice from the green chillies... I promise this is a very simple, quick and hearty recipe quenching those salty cravings any time of the day!! This recipe is also on its way to Frozen Yogurt hosted by Siri of Siris Corner
Ingredients you need:
- 3-4 cups sour light buttermilk / Churned thin yogurt
- 1 cup sifted rice flour
- 4-6 green chillies cut lengthwise( please adjust the spice )
- 6 - 10 curry leaves chopped coriander( cilantro/kothimeera )
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds( aavalu )
- 1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
- a pinch of turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil salt to taste
- Sift the rice flour and churn the buttermilk well( it shouldn't be thick ), and mix in rice flour with buttermilk and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Add salt to the mixture and set aside
- In a kadai or thick bottomed saucepan, do the tadka with oil, mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal and chana dal, once they start to dance around, add curry leaves, green chillies and turmeric
- Stop the flame and add the rice flour butter milk mixture stirring slowly .
- Now put on the flame and bring this mixture to boil stirring continuously, when it gets together check for if its done remove from flame
- Adjust salt to your taste and add chopped coriander.
Guys, i added less buttermilk( approx 2 - 2.5 cups ) for a thicker soup, should have added 3 - 3.5 cups. Please do adjust the quantity of buttermilk since i have churned homemade yogurt into buttermilk!!
Tags: Pindi, Majjiga Pindi, Challa Pindi, Healthy Buttermilk and Rice Flour Soup, Perugu Pindi, Yogurt Soup
Recipe Source: Pinni( Moms sister )