Upma..., ( yes the regular plain upma ) i hated it so much growing up as a kid but now couldnt get enough of it.. There was a reason for my hatred then, Upma used to be on the breakfast menu atleast 2-3 times a week and my mom would never let us go to school with empty stomach.. If we didnt have time to eat she packs it for us to eat during the 15 min interval( break ).. Since i hated the plain upma, my mom used to make an array of versions in upma like Tomato baath, Veggie upma, Pappu upma( upma with moongdal ), semiya bath( vermicelli upma ), Goduma ravva upma( whole wheat germ upma ), Pindi( Cream of rice upma ) ... I wonder now how she managed to make breakfast and lunch just for us( separate lunch menu for adults at home ) by 7.30am in the morning.. Hats off mom... She used to make everything fresh every morning from scratch.. Hmm i miss all that luxury now... Love you mom!!! Now this Tomato Upma has become my husband Weekend's Favorite Brunch!!!

For 2-3 servings you need:

1 cup Sooji or Semolina
3 cups water
3-4 tbsp oil
2 small or 1 large ripe tomatoes
1 onion
4-5 green chillies
1 small red potato
1/4 cup green peas
1 small green bell pepper( optional )
10 green beans( optional )
1 small carrot ( optional )
15 - 20 cashew nuts / kaju
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 small bay leaf
3 cloves
a pinch of turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
10 curry leaves
Chopped cilantro




Method Of Preparation:

TIP: For that nuttiness and extra flavor first dry roast semolina aka suji in the kadai or saucepan the semolina or sooji until it turns into golden hue.

In a kadai or thick sauce pan heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, cashew nuts and let them pop. Now add cinnamon, cloves, curry leaves, turmeric, chopped ginger, green chillies and onions. Add salt now as it helps the onions to sweat and cook them quickly.

Saute onions for 1 min and add all other veggies expect tomatoes. Dry saute the veggies for 2-3 min and them add the tomatoes, cover the lid and cook for 2-3 more min.

Once the tomatoes have been cooked soft, add water and cover the lid over high heat. Adjust salt to your taste at this point. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and add the ravva ( semolina / suji ) slowly, stirring continuously so as to avoid any lumps.


Reduce the heat and cook the upma covered until all the water has been absorbed. Switch off the heat add let it sit for 5 more min covered.

TIP: To enhance the flavor and add that richness to the Upma drop in a dollop of Ghee( clarified butter ) on the top and mix in. To add more fiber use cracked whole wheat instead of semolina..

Toss in chopped coriander and serve immediately.

My husbands likes it so much he would be very pleased if i do it every weekend.. No complaints from my side though, since its easy, filling and nutritious too.. He likes it with coconut coriander chutney, but myself i like it with some good old traditional homemade mango pickle( mukkala pachadi ).. The evergreen mouth watering COMBO....

This recipe is on its way to WBB - Balanced Breakfast hosted by Mansi Desai.




22 COMMENTS:

Trupti said...

I love Upma. Your version is different. I will try this soon..thanks for sharing this recipe

Anonymous said...

I used to ahte upma as a kid too! But these days, I can't ahve enough of it! Love your beautiful presentation there - upma has not looked this good ever!

Dori said...

I wish this had been one of the breakfasts my mom had made...it looks good!

A Cook @ Heart said...

NICE and healthy!! I love upma! and it issucha filling b'fast!

A Cook @ Heart said...

NICE and healthy!! I love upma! and it issucha filling b'fast!

Namratha said...

Those cute mounds of delicious Upma are tempting me to make some right away! Yummy! :)

Unknown said...

I too love upma..Ur pics are too good.

Deepa Kuber said...

i loved it. nice pictures!

TBC said...

That is a good idea...tomato upma.:-) I should give it a shot...

Mansi said...

hey, that looks good Kalva! I love it:) thanks for sending it for WBB girl!:)

Cham said...

I love the upma with tomato too :) Looks great :)

Dhivya said...

wow!love those pictures:))so yummmmm

Seema said...

Upma looks good.. liked the photo!

Sia said...

guess most of us hated it when we were kids but now we cant get enough of this:) love that last pic kalai...

Vaishali said...

Upma is one of my favorites, and yours looks really delicious. The cashews are a nice touch and make the dish really special.

Jayashree said...

Me too used to hate upma as a child....but now I make it quite often....it's a sign of growing up, I s'pose :-))

Cynthia said...

Okay, that does it, I have to go and get something to eat now. :)

Shah cooks said...

upma with tomatoes are my fav way to eat them..though i never liked them so much while growing up.:)

Sagari said...

upma looks deleciouss

www.ifoods.tv said...

Hi there

I just found your blog and must say it is a good read with excellent design. The pics are what make it so good, always love seeing good food pics! I started as a blogger myself and have just started www.ifoods.tv which is a place for us foodies to swap photos, recipes and cooking videos. I just found that when I was blogging that not enough people were seeing my posts and i wanted to make a place where everybody could find all our great content easily! Check it out and let me know what you think! Make sure to keep up the good work here, have just bookmarked you! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This not only looks delicious and healthy, it makes a beautiful presentation, too! WOW - I'm impressed! ;)

Hetal said...

This is a nice version of upama..looks nutritious.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button