Seema Vankaya aka Bengaluru Vankaya Tomato Kura ( Spicy Chayote Squash / Chow Chow and Tomato Curry )Posted by KALVA at 2:46:00 PM
My favorite way of preparing this dish is making sambar just with this vegetable with toor dal, tamarind and green chillies, which tastes as simple as it sounds. Another simple authentic andhra dish is to make poriyal or stir fry with tadka or talimpu and adding lots of coconut at the end.. This way of cooking chayote squash makes the dish so mild you can just finish the whole bowl without any rice. And another classic recipe is Seemavankaya Noonevankaya Kura( Chayote squash with tamarind and spices ) which is a simple curry cooked with the guthi vankaya( stuffed eggplant / brinjal ) masala and tastes spicy and tangy.
I was so happy when i first saw this cutie at the local grocery store which was so petite and smooth unlike the ones back home which weren't that smooth as they had some very thin tiny thorns. The best part, these guys have longer shelf life and very versatile to cook. Hope i have introduced this veggie a bit now,, lets move on to my version of Chayote squash curry which is so simple, cooks quickly and yet tastes great. This is my first time making the curry this way ( yep you call it experimenting.. ). Adding some toasted coriander seeds powder and big chunks of tomatoes at the very end added so much flavor to this dish. This chow chow curry is a super healthy dish with very little oil packed with full of flavor.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds( jeelakarra)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal( optional)
- 1 -2 tbsp oil pinch of turmeric
- 5-6 curry leaves ( optional - i didn't have them on hand )
How to prepare seema vankaya kura:
- FYI you can follow the above pictures for step by step procedure
- Peel the squash and chop into 1 inch pieces( you can use the seed i.e pappu too )
- Wash them and keep aside
- Chop each tomato into four pieces and slice green chillies length wise( or chop them )
- In a kadai, heat oil and add the seasonings,once they start to splutter add curry leaves, green chillies and chopped chayote squash
- Stir in some salt and cook it cooked under medium flame
- Keep stirring and at about 5 min check if the squash is cooked yet firm and holding it shape( not mushy ). At this point add tomatoes and cook under high flame for 2-3 mins( tomatoes should not be cooked completely )
- Stir in coriander powder and fry for 1 more min.
- Add chopped cilantro and adjust salt to taste
- Tada your simple spicy chayote squash curry is ready to relish.
Tags: Seema vankaya kura, Bengaluru vankaya tomato kura, Seema vankaya talimpu