This is my second recipe for Thotakura after Thotakura Pappu. This is my husbands favourite recipe since it has been passed down from his mom to me. This is a very nutritious and healthy recipe and it needs very little oil. You can eat the whole bowl of this Amaranth leaves Stir fry even without any rice or chapathi. Yep tastes that good!
- 4 cups of tightly packed chopped thotakura leaves/amaranth along with tender stalks
- 1 red onion or yellow onion julienned
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp chana dal( Yellow split chick peas )
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 tbsp sugar
For tadka or tempuring:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- Chop thotakura( amaranth leaves ) very finely. You can chop the tender stalks too but discard the tough stalks( You should remove the stalks skin like you do for beans )
- Bring 1-2cups of water to boil and add chopped amaranth leaves and channa dal
- Cook until the leaves are cooked( TIP: Add 1 tsp of sugar so the leaves retain their green color )
- Drain the leaves thoroughly( You can use the water to make chapathis )
- Heat oil in kadai and add cumin and mustard seeds
- When they start to crackle add curry leaves, turmeric and onions
- Fry onions till golden brown
- Add the boiled thotakura along with chana dal and saute until the the curry looks dry without any water.
- Add chilli powder, salt and sugar and saute 5 more min
- Adjust salt and spice to taste
Serve this thotakura talimpu/vepudu with hot rice or chapathi.
Tags: Amaranth leaves stir fry, Thotakura talimpu, Thotakura Vepudu