I still relish the fried rice i had last year when we went to India. It was very light yet full of flavor. Though it has so many vegetables and soyasauce nothing was overpowering. Somehow i dont like the fried rice here in US chinese restaurants, the rice they use here is kind of hard for me( its my personal taste ). I like the the way they make in India with Basmati rice, my teeth thanked me for having that soft and light rice. My husband took me to a good Chinese restaurant here and told their fried rice was the best and to my surprise my first bite was my last bite ever. Later i figured why not try at home with our Basmati rice and simple veggies like carrots, peas, cabbage, beans, green peppers and baby corn. I would like to keep it low on soya sauce since I dont like to overpower my fried rice with it. My husband likes mine better than that restuarant one( Hehehe. atleast he says that infront of me!!!)



There are exaclty no hard and fast rules on what and how much vegetables to use. It truly depends on your personal taste. You can adapt depending on the vegetables you have on hand. But here i am posting how i made it that day.



You need:

  • 2 cups basmati rice
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/2 cup beans
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 1/2 green bell pepper( optional )
  • 1/2 red bell pepper( optional )
  • 1 scallion( optional )
  • 5 baby corns( optional )
  • 1/2 cup cabbage
  • 1 tsp soya sauce
  • 1/2 tsp ajinamoto
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 inch peeled ginger
  • 3 green chillies
  • 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil( no olive oil please )


Basic tips for a perfect bowl of fried rice:
  • Always use basmati rice( or long grain rice only if u dont have Basmati in hand )
  • Use 1 : 1 1/2 , rice:water ratio
  • Always cook at high heat
  • Use wide opened pans like wok or kadai for cooking
  • Use soya sauce in moderation
  • Add vegetables one by one depending on their cooking time
  • Do not overcook veggies
  • Fluff the rice before adding to wok
  • Use vegetable oil since it withstands high temperature
Note: All the above mentioned veggies should be chopped very finely( i use food processor/chopper for this )


How to:
  • Cook rice as 1 rice : 1 3/4 cups water in rice cooker
  • Chop all the veggies very fine separately
  • In a kadai or wok heat some oil and add the egg, cook the egg and keep aside
  • Clean the wok and add oil under high heat
  • Add the ginger garlic, onions and stir fry for 30 sec
  • Add carrots, beans peas, chillies, baby corn, and saute for 1 min
  • Add green and red peppers and stir fry for 30 sec
  • Add cabbage and scallions at the end and saute for until everything is done
  • Add ajinamoto, white pepper and salt and saute for 30 more sec
  • Add soya sauce and mix
  • Add cooked egg at this point
  • Break apart cooked rice, add it and stir fry for 1 more min
  • Adjust salt and spice to taste
  • Tada..! your fried rice is done!


Serve this Fried Rice with chilli sauce or ketchup. Want to finish it with indian touch? Go ahead and serve with Raitha!. What could be more perfect than a steaming hot and nutritious bowl of Fried Rice with egg and vegetables..!

Tags: Chinese egg and vegetable fried rice, Rice

7 COMMENTS:

sangeetaskitchen said...

hi kalva,,,,
your fried rice looks yummy and mouth watering ...will try it soon

thanx for visitin my blog

Kalva said...

Hi Sangeetha thanks again for stopping by

Pooja V said...

Your fried rice looks lovely. I also liked the roses made out of tomato skin...:)

Kalva said...

Hi Pooja,
Thanks for your comments. That rose is not from tomato but its from carrot peel, i know my pics werent that clear.

Rina said...

Will luv to try this fried rice. Thanks for the recipe

remya said...

hy wat acolorful fried rice!!!!! looks lovely.

Sree said...

Wow! Looks great! I really want to try this as this is one of my favortie dish, I have tried this before but never looked this good.. I didnt know so many tips about fried rice, I'll follow word by word and see what happens...Will keep visitng this blog...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
Web Informer Button