Though i am not that good cooking kakarakaya( bitter gourd aka karela) i do it for its nutritional benefits. This time when i started i thought kakarkaya vepudu would turn out to be a big flop., but to my surprise the end product was so yummy yummy. I would like to use kakarakaya very often from now. For now i will post the pictures and i will post the recipe soon.
- 2 medium sized bitter gourds(kakarakaya ./ karelas)
- 2 big onions
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- red chilli powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
For Tempuring(Tadka) optional:
- Clean the bitter gourds(kakarakaya) and drain them
- Peel off the skin( run the peeler just once ). This is optional step
- Chop bitter gourd very very finely( the finer you chop the quicker it cooks )
- Add turmeric, salt and yogurt. Let it marinate for 1 hour( or more optional )
- Squeeze the chopped pieces and drain them on kitchen towel or paper towels( doing this will remove the bitterness by half )
- Heat kadai( or wok ) with oil and add the cumin seeeds, mustard seeds, chana dal and when they start to pop add the curry leaves.
- Add the chopped kakarakaya ( bitter gourd ) pieces and fry stirring occassionally.
- When they are little brown add the finely chopped onions and fry for 3-5 min until done
- Add sugar , salt and red chilli powder
- Cook for 2 more min until done.
- The end product should be very crispy.
No one would know that this is kakarakaya fry unless you tell them. Serve this with hot rice. I know my mom cooks stuffed karelas, would like to try that recipe soon. Kakarakaya is so good for people with diabetes, please do omit sugar in that case.
Tags:bitter gourd fry, bittergourd curry, kakarakaya fry, kakarakaya vepudu, karela fry