Beetroot is one of my favorite vegetables. When i was a kid i remember i used to eat just the curry without any rice or bread. My mom used to say beetroot will add new blood to our body and thats true. My mom makes beetroot curry with coconut and peas. But this one with besan is from my MIL(mother-in-law). Besan coats the beetroot pieces and it tastes so good. Beetroot just sauteed with some tadka or tempuring itself is simply delicious., but adding besan(chickpea flour) gives it a new flavor.
I know its very hard to peel and chop the beets( in USA are so large ). I used to have hard time peeling and chopping beets. But not anymore, my cousin asked me to cook the beets( cut into 4 parts ) with the skin on in pressure cooker with some water and salt. And once they are cooked, the peel comes off just with the finger pressure right away, and chopping the beets couldnt be any easier.
- 1 big beetroot or 2 small beetroots
- 8-10 green chillies split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup besan aka chick pea flour
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal( optional )
- 1 tsp urad dal( optional )
- a pinch of turmeric
- 10 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Boiled and cubed beets, along with besan aka chickpea flour
- Boil the beets as i told before using pressure pan.
- Chop the boiled beets into bite size pieces
- Heat oil in kadai and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal
- Once it starts popping add curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric and chopped beets
- Fry them for 5 min stirring occasionally
- Add chick pea flour or besan at this point just sprinkle some water, reduce the heat and cook it covered for 2 more minutes. Cook until the raw smell from the besan disappers.
- Adjust salt to taste
Serve this beetroot fry ( beetroot besan ) with hot rice, roti or chapathi. And the best part is this curry tastes even better without any rice or bread( atleast for me )!
Tags: Beetroot besan, Beetroot curry, Beetroot vepudu, Beets fry